Steal This Meal: Eggs with Mango Gazpacho
Today’s STM came from Dallas, as an attempt to squeeze more vegetables into our early AM breakfasts. Many of you have the same issue – cramming plenty of veggies at lunch and dinner is easy, but who wants to roll out of bed to a giant, steaming bowl full of broccoli and spinach? Fruit is far more appealing first thing in the morning, but a plate full of berries can also start your day off on the wrong sugar-foot. A chilled bowl of mango gazpacho is a nice compromise – sweet enough to get the taste buds excited, and vegetable-y enough to make it actually count towards your daily veggie intake.
We cheated (sorry, but we’re not this creative) and found a basic gazpacho recipe on line. For summertime fun, we subbed the tomatoes for mango (yum) and switched out a few non-Whole30 ingredients for better, healthier stuff. Prepare this ahead of time, because the longer it chills, the better it tastes.
Steal This Meal: Eggs with Mango Gazpacho (Serves 4)
- Buy some kind of vegetable chopper (like this one from Williams Sonoma), because it has been scientifically proven to speed up your cooking prep time by 72%.
- 2 cups of 1/4-inch-diced fresh (ripe) mangoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Process mangoes and EVOO in a blender or food processor until pureed. Transfer to a medium bowl, along with remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Can be made several hours before serving – it’s even better the next day.)
- Serve in a bowl (as a traditional soup) or dump it right over freshly poached, fried or scrambled eggs. Top with fresh basil or cilantro and enjoy!
Got a delicious, simple, Whole30-approved list of ingredients for our next Friday recipe feature? Send your Steal This Meal entry (along with photos and YOUR Whole30-inspired story!) to [email protected].
Co-Founder / CEO