We created this STM recipe with some serious fall inspiration. It kind of sounds like Thanksgiving in your mouth, and that’s how it tastes, too. Enjoy!
Steal This Meal: Stuffed Sweet Acorn Squash
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 pound grass-fed, organic ground beef (ground turkey would work, too)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 finely-chopped apple (we used a Braeburn, but find something local-ish)
- ½ cup chopped cranberries (fresh, not dried)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp sage
- unrefined coconut oil
- salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven to ~400 degrees.
- Cut the acorn squash in half, and scoop out the seeds and any stringy stuff.
- Place the squash cut side up in a large baking pan, and put a tablespoon of water into each “cup”, and pour ¼ cup of water into the bottom of the pan.
- Loosely “tent” the pan with aluminum foil, and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- While squash is baking, chop the onion, apple, pecans and cranberries.
- Saute the beef and onion in a little coconut oil for 2-3 minutes, then add pecans, cranberries, and herbs. Add salt and pepper. Do not completely cook this mixture.
- Pull squash out of the oven, spoon the mixture into the “cups” (heaped to overflowing is okay).
- Bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes.
We added a simple arugula and watercress salad with lemon-basil vinaigrette, but any green veggie would do as a side.
If you’re looking for more delicious recipe ideas from Whole30 and our readers, head on over to our“Recipes” category.
Co-Founder / CEO