Looking for a hearty, flavorful breakfast for your Plant-Based Whole30 weekly menu? Step right this way. This Anytime Hash with Italian Tempeh is seasoned with savory Italian seasoning and red wine vinegar, features a delicious variety of veggies, a drizzle of Plant-Based Ranch dressing, then topped with fresh avocado. It’s a tasty first meal that will fuel you all morning long.
Anytime Hash with Italian Tempeh: a Hearty Plant-Based Whole30 Breakfast
Anytime Hash with Italian Tempeh
For the Tempeh
- 2 (8 oz) packages tempeh
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp Whole30-compatible Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic ,minced
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ¼ tsp black salt
For the Vegetables
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes ,halved lengthwise and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 medium shallot ,chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ¾ tsp coarse black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Whole30 Plant-Based Ranch Dressing
- Avocado slices
Make the tempeh
- Place a vegetable steamer in a large skillet; add water to just below the steamer. Bring water to boiling; add tempeh to the steamer. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and steam tempeh for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a resealable plastic bag, add oil, vinegar, seasoning, mustard, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Seal bag and mix to combine. Add the tempeh to the bag and turn to coat. Seal bag and marinate for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain tempeh and discard marinade.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the tempeh and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the Hash
- In an extra-large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, carrots, and shallot. Season with lemon zest, salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are crisp on the outside, tender inside, and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and cook, covered, until wilted, about 1 minute.
- To serve, divide tempeh and potatoes between serving plates or bowls. Drizzle with dressing and serve with sliced avocado.
Whole30 Plant-Based Ranch Dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup Whole30 Plant-Based mayonnaise, ½ cup Whole30-compatible canned, full-fat coconut milk (stir before measuring), 1 small clove garlic, minced, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill, 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives, 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, ½ teaspoon onion powder, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Whole30 Plant-Based Mayonnaise
- In an immersion blender jar, stir together ½ cup unsweetened soy milk, 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon coarse salt, 1 teaspoon prepared mustard. Add 1 cup avocado oil to the jar. Use the immersion blender to blend until thick. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.