Shopping for Whole30 compatible foods can be tricky if you’re just starting with the program. And with thousands of products lining the shelves, it’s hard to know where to start. You know to stock up on your basics like fruit, vegetables, and meat, but you also understand that seasonings, sauces, and other fun ingredients go a long way to avoiding food boredom. It can feel overwhelming, but we’re here to help!
Trader Joe’s is a longtime Whole30 shopping favorite for many. Most products are their own store brand, often making them more budget friendly than the name brands you’ll find in other retailers. They also have a great selection of essentials like dried fruit, nuts, cooking oils, and frozen veggies at a great price. But what makes Trader Joe’s Whole30 grocery shopping so appealing? Their wide selection of specialty and convenience items that will make your Whole30 a little bit easier, and a lot more delicious.
But with so many options, where do you begin? Grab your cart and follow us for a trip around Trader Joe’s.
Whole30 Trader Joe’s Produce Picks
- Ready Veggies: This bagged salad mix is great to saute and use in a stir fry or use as a hearty salad base.
- Spaghetti Squash: Priced per item—and not pound—this is a great value item to add to your cart if you grab a heavy one.
- Kohlrabi Pasta: These kohlrabi “noodles” are a single-ingredient pasta substitute that you can steam in the bag or in your pan for a quick side or base for your meal.
- Jicama Wraps: This single-ingredient wrap is a perfect vehicle for your favorite protein and veggie combos. They have a light, refreshing flavor that makes them perfect for tiny tacos.
- Steamed and Peeled Baby Beets: Raw beets can be intimidating, but these pre- cooked, ready-to-eat option make enjoying them easy.
Whole30 Compatible Nuts, Seeds, and Dried Fruit
*There are lots of options in this section, but be sure to check your labels. Many of Trader Joe’s nut and dried fruit options contain sugar or incompatible oils, but luckily they have plenty of raw options, too.
- Raw Sliced or Slivered Almonds: These are a great way to add a nutty crunch to your salads.
- Dried Sweet Cherries: No sugar here, these dried cherries add a nice punch of sweet tartness to a simple salad. I highly recommend a kale, avocado, and dried cherry combo!
- Chia Seeds, Hemp Seeds, and Flax Seeds: An easy way to add some nutrients and crunch to salads, soups, or snack mixes.
Refrigerated Section Staples
- Vegan Kale Pesto: This vegan (dairy free) pesto is a perfect pick when you don’t want to make your own. It’ pairs well with any veggie or protein.
- Avocado’s Number Guacamole To-Go: Another great option if you don’t want to make your own guacamole. These single serving guacamole cups are perfect for packed lunches or snacks on the go.
- Herbed Tahini Sauce: Nutty, creamy, and tangy, this is another great sauce for your dishes or as a dip for fresh crudité.
- Organic Free Range Chicken Bone Broth: Bone broth is a protein-rich beverage option you can sip straight from your mug or use in any soups, stews, or curries.
- Applegate Organic Uncured Beef Hot Dogs: These Whole30 Approved hot dogs are a longtime community favorite.
- Chicken Meatballs: These fully cooked, seasoned meatballs are a great shortcut; just pair with a compatible sauce and some spaghetti squash for a quick and satisfying meal.
Freezer Section Finds
- Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Carrots: Keeping a few of these in your freezer will ensure you always have veggies on hand. Bonus: these will last longer than raw produce, without sacrificing flavor.
- Riced Cauliflower: They had a hard time keeping this in stock for the first few years and for good reason. It’s super versatile, and you can use it anywhere you’d use rice.
- Salmon, Mahi, Tuna Filets: Pull these out and thaw, then skillet fry or grill with your favorite sauce. You’ve got dinner in minutes!
Trader Joe’s Whole30 Pantry Items
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning: This cult classic has a special place in our hearts and on the TJ’s shelf. Sprinkle on top of your salmon for an extra burst of flavor.
- Crunchy Chili Onion Topping: Add some spice and texture to any of your dishes with this garlicky topping.
- Nutritional Yeast: Use this powder to add a “cheesy” flavor to your dishes. It’s great sprinkled on broccoli or used to make a simple, compatible sauce.
- Olive Oil, Sesame Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil: Trader Joe’s has an incredible selection of compatible cooking oils to choose from.
- Sardines in Olive Oil, Lightly Smoked Salmon, and Tuna in Water: These are a great on-the-go protein option or for your next camping trip.
- Coconut Aminos: One of the holy grail Whole30 items, coconut aminos are a tasty , compatible, soy-sauce substitute.
- Chomps Snack Sticks: These Whole30 Approved meat sticks are a must when approaching the checkout lanes at Trader Joe’s. We love pairing them with some nuts or Kite Hill Cream Cheese for a savory snack.
Preparing for a Whole30 at Trader Joe’s
Now you’ve got your Whole30 shopping list for Trader Joe’s—whether you’re doing a full fridge and pantry restock or just looking for some fun convenience items to keep things interesting. We’re sure you’ll find some new items during your Whole30 Trader Joe’s experience that you and your family love! Be sure to grab yourself some flowers while you’re there because you deserve it.
Editor’s Note: At the time of writing, all of these items were compatible, but as always, unless you see the Whole30 Approved logo on the package, always double check your labels to be sure all ingredients are compatible. For more label reading help check out our label reading tips blog.