This Chickpea, Tomato, and Veggie Skillet is a Plant-Based Whole30 breakfast dish that balances smoky flavors from the fire-roasted tomatoes and Ras El Hanout spice with tangy plant-based “sour cream” and delicately sweet sweet potatoes. It’s complex, interesting, and delicious, and tastes especially good the next day, so plan for leftovers.
Chickpea, Tomato, and Veggie Skillet: A Plant-Based Whole30 Breakfast Dish
Chickepea, Tomato, and Veggie Skillet
- 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 (4- to 5-oz) medium sweet poatoes ,peeled and chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can Whole30-compatible fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas ,rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans ,rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp Whole30-compatible Moroccan or Ras El Hanout spice blend
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups baby kale or spinach
- ½ cup Whole30-compatible plant-based sour cream or Whole30 Plant-Based Sour Cream (see Tip)
- Chopped fresh parsley and/or chives
- In an extra-large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, black beans, seasoning, salt, black pepper; stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add lemon juice and kale. Cook, covered, until slightly wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls and top servings with sour cream and parsley and/or chives. Sprinkle with parsley and/or chives.