Extra-Veggie Fried Rice: a Plant-Based Whole30 Dinner Recipe
Extra-Veggie Fried Rice
For the Tofu "Eggs"
- 1 (16-oz) block extra-firm tofu ,pressed and crumbled
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¾ tsp black salt
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, avocado oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
For the Cauliflower Rice
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, avocado oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 green onions ,green part only chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger ,peeled and minced
- 6 cups cauliflower rice
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots, asparagus, or broccoli
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 baby bok choy or ¼ bunch kale ,sliced into ribbons then halved crosswise
- ½ cup chopped cashews
Make the Tofu "Eggs"
- Finely crumble the tofu into in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, stir together the nutritional yeast, salt, turmeric, and smoked paprika. Sprinkle seasoning on the tofu and stir to combine. In a large skillet, add the seasoned tofu and cook, stirring, until the tofu is cooked, about 4 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
Make the Cauliflower Rice
- In an extra-large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cauliflower, carrots, green onions, and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until the cauliflower and carrots are tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Add the coconut aminos, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper; stir to combine. Add the tofu and bok choy; stir. Cover and let stand until the bok choy is wilted and tofu is heated through, about 2 minutes. Top servings with cashews. Makes 6 cups.
Tip: To press a block of tofu, wrap the block in a dish towel and place on a rimmed plate. Place a cast-iron skillet on top or other heavy object on top; let tofu drain for 20 minutes. This can be done up to 24 hours ahead of time.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!