Recipe and Photography by Sarah Steffens
Roasted veggies add an extra layer of flavor and texture to a hearty lentil and potato stew that’s perfect for cold weather months.
- Lentils can be prepared on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot.
- Do future you a favor and make a double or triple batch! Leftovers can be frozen for up to six months.
Plant-Based Whole30 Lentil Stew with Roasted Potatoes
Lentil Stew with Roasted Potatoes
- 1½ cups dry lentils
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled & diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves peeled & minced
- 2 medium carrots peeled & diced
- 8 baby potatoes diced
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried red chili flakes
- 1 (14.5) oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup fresh parsley minced
- 1 whole scallion minced
- PREPARE your lentils by adding them to a stockpot with 3 cups of water and simmering on low heat until soft, about 45 minutes. Alternatively, cook them in your Instant Pot on the Manual setting for 8 minutes, releasing the steam valve after 10 minutes.
- ONCE the lentils are prepared, keep them in the stockpot (or add to one if you cooked them in your Instant Pot). Add in canned tomatoes, vegetable broth and bay leaves. Season with about 1 teaspoon of sea salt to start, adding more at the end of cooking, if desired.
- PREPARE roasted veggies (while lentils are cooking) by arranging onion, garlic, carrots and baby potatoes on a baking tray.
- SEASON with sea salt, black pepper, paprika, and dried red chili flakes and toss together.
- ROAST in the oven at 400°F until veggies are soft and browned, about 25 minutes, tossing after 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and add to the pot of lentils and tomatoes.
- GENTLY stir mixture and set the heat to medium and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, scraping up any bits on the bottom of the pan, until a thick sauce has formed. Taste check to see if you would prefer any more sea salt.
- REMOVE from heat, serve with fresh parsley and scallions and enjoy!