Thai-Inspired Tofu “Larb”: a Plant-Based Whole30 Recipe
Thai-Inspired Tofu “Larb”
- 1-2 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 1 (14-to 16-ounce) block extra-firm tofu ,pressed and crumbled (see Tip)
- 1 (8-ounce) package button mushrooms ,finely chopped
- 1 large shallot ,finley chopped
- 1 Thai chile pepper ,seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lemon grass stem ,out layer removed, tender stem finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ⅓ cup tightly packed fresh mint leaves ,chopped
- ⅓ cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves ,chopped
- Endive or bibb lettuce leaves
- In an extra-large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu, mushrooms, shallot, chile pepper, lemongrass, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are cooked and shallot are transparent, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer tofu mixture to an large bowl and let cool until slightly warmer than room temperature, about 15 minutes. Stir lime zest and juice, mint, and cilantro into the tofu mixture. Serve larb in leaves.
Tip: To press a block of tofu, wrap the block in a dish towel and place on a rimmed plate. Place a cast-iron skillet on top or other heavy object on top; let tofu drain for 20 minutes. This can be done up to 24 hours ahead of time.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!