Veggie Pie with Mashed Potatoes: a Plant-Based Whole30 Dinner Recipe
Veggie Pie with Mashed Potatoes
For the Filling
- 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (10-oz) package Abbot's Butcher Ground Beef
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 2 tbsps Whole30-compatible tomato paste
- 2 tbsps Whole30-compatible Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp Coarse black pepper
- 1 cup Whole30-compatible vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
For the Herbed Mashed Potatoes
- 1½ lbs Yukon gold potatoes ,peeled, if desired, and halved
- 1½ tsps coarse salt
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- ¼ cup Whole30-compatible plant-based milk
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- ⅓ cup Whole30-compatible plant-based yogurt or Whole30 Plant-Based Sour Cream (see Tip)
- ½ tsp Coarse black pepper
- 1-2 tbsps chopped chives
Make the Filling
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a 10-inch cast-iron or oven-going skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef, carrots, mushrooms, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender and beef is heated through, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, mustard, coconut aminos, rosemary, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper; stir to combine.
- In a 1 cup glass measure or small bowl, whisk together ½ cup of the broth and the arrowroot powder until well combined. Add remaining ½ cup broth. Add broth mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
Make the Herbed Mashed Potatoes
- In a large saucepan or pot, place potatoes, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes. Add the oil to the potatoes, and coarsely mash with a potato masher.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and fresh herbs over medium heat just until warm and fragrant. Remove herbs from milk; add to the potatoes along with the sour cream, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Mash until the potatoes are smooth.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes onto the hot filling. Bake until the filling is bubbly and mashed potatoes are heated through, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.
Tip: Whole30 Plant-Based Sour Cream: In a small bowl, combine 1 cup raw cashews and water to cover. Soak overnight. Drain cashews. In a high speed blender combine cashews, 1/3 cup water, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, and 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt. Cover and blend until smooth, adding more water as necessary, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach desired consistency. Makes about 1 cup.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!