Here’s something special to serve to your people for breakfast this weekend, straight from Cooking Whole30: Whole30 Breakfast Tacos. This recipe combines spicy, smoky sausage; creamy scrambled eggs; tender butter lettuce leaves; and the fresh flavor of pico de gallo or hot sauce. (Top with cilantro and avocado for extra credit.) We think it’s the perfect weekend Whole30 brunch dish, but they taste just as good at dinner time.
Cooking Whole30 is the revised, updated, and enhanced version of The Whole30 Cookbook, and it will be available on 12/29/2020, everywhere books are sold. Click here for more information about this project.
Whole30 Breakfast Tacos With Quick Cider-Chipotle Breakfast Sausage
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Tacos With Quick Cider-Chipotle Breakfast Sausage
For the Sausage
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed or 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound ground pork
For the Eggs
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter or ghee
- 8 large eggs
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 12 butter head lettuce leaves
- Whole-30 compatible pico de gallo or hot sauce
- butter head lettuce leaves
- chopped avocado (optional)
- fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
Make the Sausage
- IN a large bowl, combine the apple cider, salt, chipotle, sage, thyme, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Add the ground pork and use your hands to thoroughly mix in the seasoning
- IN a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat until browned, using a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a bowl. Pour off any fat remaining in the skillet and wipe out the skillet.
Make the Eggs
- SET the skillet in which you cooked the sausage over medium heat and add the butter. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs just until the yolks are broken. Pour the eggs into the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until they reach the desired doneness. Season with salt and black pepper.
- DIVIDE the sausage and eggs among the lettuce leaves. Top with pico de gallo and, if desired, avocado and cilantro.
Post photography by Brent Herrig
Pre-Order Your Copy of Cooking Whole30 Wherever Books are Sold
OVER 150 RECIPES FOR THE WHOLE30 AND BEYOND
Previously published as The Whole30 Cookbook, this bestseller is revised, updated, and available in paperback for the first time.
The groundbreaking Whole30 program has helped millions of people transform their lives by bringing them better sleep, more energy, fewer cravings, and improved digestion, creating a foundation of good habits and restoring a healthy relationship with food. In this cookbook (previously published as The Whole30 Cookbook) best-selling author and Whole30 co-creator Melissa Urban delivers over 150 recipes to help readers prepare delicious, healthy meals for their Whole30 and beyond.
Cooking Whole30 has been completely revised and updated to be in line with Whole30’s diversity, inclusion, equity, representation, and accessibility efforts.
Say good-bye to mundane meals with Cooking Whole30. These mouth-watering recipes will help you reset your health while filling your life with delicious good food.” — DANIELLE WALKER, New York Times best-selling author, Against All Grain and Meals Made Simple