Today’s STM submission comes from Christie Tracey, one of our favorite Whole9 guest bloggers (A House Divided) and Whole30 expert. Christie posted a spinach muffin recipe (inspired by the fabulous Melissa Joulwan) on her blog that got our readers’ attention, and provides such a quick, easy, and delicious way to get you (and your kids’) veggies in at breakfast that we had to re-post it for you here. Christie’s blog is a treasure trove of Paleo resources, recipes and inspiration, so after you whip up her spinach muffins, head on over to ChristieTracey.blogspot.com and check out all of her Paleo recipe offerings.
Steal This Meal: Egg and Spinach “Muffins”
- 4 pastured or Omega-3 eggs (yes, yummy yolks and all!!)
- 4 9oz bags/boxes of frozen spinach
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1-2 Tb Italian Spice Blend (or your own blend of oregano, basil, etc)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Sea Salt to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes to taste (if you like spicy stuff)
- Defrost spinach in microwave
- While spinach is defrosting, beat your eggs well
- Drain spinach REALLY WELL!! (I like Melissa’s tip of cutting a small hole in the corner of the bag, and then squeezing it like your life depends on it until you can’t get any more water out)
- Dump spinach into a bowl and stir in minced garlic & spices/seasonings to taste**
- Add beaten eggs to spinach, and mix well
- Spoon evenly into 12 muffin pan holes, and pack down a bit
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Pull out of oven and turn pan upside down onto a cooling rack so that “muffins” can cool.
These will “deflate” a little as well, but not much if they are cooked well enough. The final pic is of one of my “muffins” after a night in the fridge. These are REALLY YUMMY straight out of the fridge. And on a side note – I have NEVER been a fan of frozen spinach, but I really, really liked these, so give them a try even if you’re not a fan of the frozen stuff – I think that they’ll pleasantly suprise you!
Got a delicious, simple list of ingredients for our next Friday recipe feature? Send your Steal This Meal entry (along with photos and YOUR Whole30-inspired story!) to [email protected] And if you’re looking for more delicious recipe ideas from Whole9 and our readers, just select “Recipes” from the category list on our sidebar!
Co-Founder / CEO