Cashew butter adds depth and creaminess to this vegan butternut “pasta” dish with added protein from chickpeas, cashews and sesame seeds. This dish can be prepared up to 3 days in advance, just leave off the cashews and sesame seeds until ready to serve.
Cashew Butternut “Pasta” with Chickpeas
- 2 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves ,peeled & minced
- 1 14.5-oz can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup plain almond milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup plain creamy cashew butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups butternut pasta
- 1 14.5-oz can of chickpeas ,drained
- ¼ cup fresh parsley ,minced
- 1 whole30 scallion ,minced
- ¼ cup toasted cashews
- 1 tbsp black or white sesame seeds
- Add coconut or avocado oil to a stockpot set to low heat.
- Add minced garlic and allow to become golden in color, stirring often, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk and almond milk and stir well. Whisk in nutritional yeast, lemon juice and cashew butter until very smooth.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper and stir well
- Add in butternut pasta and stir well so that the butternut is completely coated in the sauce. Stir often until and butternut is soft, about 5-8 minutes. If the pasta begins to appear a little dry, add another splash or two of almond milk or water.
- Stir in drained chickpeas.
- When the butternut is soft, remove from the heat and serve between 4 garnishing with fresh parsley, scallion, cashews and sesame seeds, storing any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.