This Cashew Creme Fraiche is a breeze to make and adds a delicious touch of rich flavor. It’s Plant-Based Whole30 compatible and vegan, with only 5 simple ingredients. An easy sauce you will make again and again!
We love that the ingredients are easy to find at most grocery stores. This makes our creme fraiche accessible and budget-friendly. Also, it only takes 10 minutes to prep – making this a fast sauce choice.
What is Creme Fraiche?
Creme fraiche is French for “fresh cream.” It usually refers to a dairy-soured cream but is less sour and has a higher fat content than traditional sour cream. This creamy vegan version uses cashews and citrus to achieve a similar flavor profile.
Our Cashew Creme Fraiche would also be a great Whole30 swap for a Mexican-inspired Crema Fresca.
What do you put Cashew Creme Fraiche on?
Once you make this delicious sauce, you might just find yourself putting it on all the things, but here are some ideas:
- Drizzle it on roasted or grilled veggies for added healthy fats and flavor.
- Stir it into your soup or stews for a touch of creaminess.
- Use it as a simple salad or coleslaw dressing.
- Add it to your lettuce-wrapped sandwiches or burgers
- Top your favorite Mexican dishes with it – lettuce-wrapped tacos, our Tostone Tostadas, taco salads, fajita bowls, etc.
- This sauce can be made without soaking the cashews if you have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix. The result of the sauce should be creamy and smooth.
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, then pour the water and lime juice over the cashews and let soak for at least 2 hours, up to overnight. This will soften the cashews and allow them to blend smoothly without a high-speed blender.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools. You can add additional water or dairy-free milk to thin it down if desired.
Cashew Creme Fraiche
Cashew Creme Fraiche
- 1.25 cups raw unsalted cashews
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp lime juice (about 2 ½ small limes or 1 ½ large limes)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- BLEND all the ingredients in a high speed blender* on high until very smooth. If needed, scrape down the sides and blend again.
- STORE in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- *NOTE: If you do not have a high-speed blender, soak the cashews in the water + lime juice for at least two hours, up to overnight, to soften and blend more easily.