We love how easy this Plant-Based Sheet Pan Pesto Bowl is! Everything cooks on a sheet pan, which means minimal hands-on prep. Plus, it makes for easy cleanup!
This bowl is Whole30, which means it’s gluten-free and dairy-free. It’s also Plant-Based, making it egg-free and vegan. Also, it’s nut-free too! We love how allergen-friendly it is.
Vegetables and chickpeas are roasted until crispy in the oven to build this nourishing bowl. Add some healthy fat with sliced avocado, a crunch and extra protein with pepitas, and flavor with dairy-free pesto. We love using our homemade Plant-Based Whole30 Pesto Sauce.
This is a great way to feed the family or meal prep for the week. Plus, the leftovers can freeze, including the pesto. Avocado can freeze, but once frozen, its texture changes, so we recommend topping that fresh.
Sheet pan cooking is simple, but here are some helpful tips:
- Put the pan in the oven while the oven preheats. Heating up the pan helps the potatoes get crispy faster.
- Remember, the more dense a veggie is, the longer it needs to roast. That means often vegetables need to be added in layers at different times to be done at the same time. This ensures everything is cooked and nothing is burnt!
- Putting potatoes cut-side down on a sheet pan helps them get that nice crispy outside. Don’t stir or flip them either to get the crispy layer.
- Additionally, steaming potatoes or other dense vegetables before roasting can cut the roasting time in half.
- Chickpeas need to be shaken or stirred every 10-15 minutes to help them cook evenly.
- Try to make sure your vegetables of the same type are the same size. And the smaller they are, the faster they cook. For this reason, I recommend cutting your broccoli into small florets.
- Dry = crispy, so be sure to gently pat dry your steamed potatoes and rinsed chickpeas.
Plant-Based Sheet Pan Pesto Bowl
Plant-Based Sheet Pan Pesto Bowl
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes or small baby potatoes cut into halves or quarters (depending on size)
- 2 (15) oz cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 6 tbsp olive or avocado oil divided
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 cups small broccoli florets about two small crowns
- 1 large zucchini cut into ¼” half circle slices
- 10 oz fresh grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 cup pepitas
- 1 cup dairy-free pesto
- PREHEAT oven to 425 °F degrees with a rimmed baking sheet in it.
- STEAM cut potatoes for 4 minutes, until just tender. Pat dry potatoes and rinsed chickpeas. This will help them get crispy!
- TOSS potatoes and chickpeas with 2 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon each garlic powder and paprika.
- REMOVE the preheated baking sheet from the oven and line with parchment paper. Spread chickpeas and potatoes on it in a single layer. For the crispiest potatoes, make sure to turn them cut side down flat on the baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes. Shake the pan at 10 minutes to toss the chickpeas, but don’t flip the potatoes.
- WHILE potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, combine in a large bowl broccoli, zucchini, and tomatoes. Toss with remaining ¼ cup oil. Season with remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon each garlic powder and paprika.
- REMOVE potatoes and chickpeas from the oven and spread the broccoli mixture evenly on top. Roast for an additional 15 minutes.
- DIVIDE the roasted vegetables and chickpeas among 4 bowls. Top each bowl with half an avocado, ¼ cup pepitas, and ¼ cup pesto. Enjoy!