This Plant-Based Whole30 “Sushi” Bowl is easy and veggie-loaded! A dish that comes together in 20 minutes, perfect for a busy weeknight meal. Enjoy the flavors of sushi with a vegan twist and without any laborious rolling involved.
Our vegan sushi bowl is Plant-Based Whole30, gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free. The ingredients are simple and adjustable to your preference and dietary needs. Get playful and have fun making it your own.
Build Your Vegan Sushi Bowl
The bowl starts with a base of cauliflower rice. Use either fresh riced cauliflower or save time with frozen riced cauliflower. You can simply steam it on the stove in a steamer basket or in the microwave. Or, if you prefer fuller flavor and have some time, saute it in a generous amount of avocado or coconut oil on the stove until translucent.
Sprinkle coconut aminos onto the cauli-rice for that “soy” sauce flavor. Coconut aminos are a great soy-free soy sauce replacement, made from the coconut tree sap. Many varieties are Whole30 compatible!
Top the riced cauliflower with steamed edamame for protein. We use 1 cup of edamame for each bowl to ensure there is enough protein per person. Learn more about protein recommendations for a Plant-Based Whole30 here.
A Few Fancy Touches
Then dial up the veggies with julienned or ribboned carrots and sliced cucumbers. You can use carrot shreds or julienned, but we love the look of carrot ribbons in our sushi bowls. For the carrot ribbons, simply cut off the end of the carrot and then use a vegetable peeler down the length of a carrot to create a “ribbon.” A fun way to add a “wow” texture to your bowl.
We add sliced avocado for healthy fats. Want to get fancy? Create an avocado rose (pictured!). This is done by cutting an avocado in half and slicing it very thin. Then, spreading the thin pieces out into a long line and rolling from one end to the other. You can see a video of it here.
Don’t Forget the Garnishes!
Finally, we love all the garnishes and toppings on our plant-based sushi bowls! That includes seaweed sheets cut into strips, white or black sesame seeds, red pepper flakes for a kick, and spicy mayo.
The spicy mayo is made by combining 1/2 cup Plant-Based Mayo with 1-2 tablespoons of compatible chili sauce or chili oil. You choose how hot you want it – the more you add, the hotter it gets!
Plant-Based Sushi Bowls with Spicy Mayo
Plant-Based Whole30 Sushi Bowls
- 4 cups cooked or steamed cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos plus more as desired
- 4 cups frozen edamame cooked per package directions
- 2 large carrots ribboned or julienned
- 4 mini cucumbers sliced
- 2 avocados
Toppings of choice
- toasted nori (seaweed) cut into strips
- white or black sesame seeds
- garlic salt to taste
- sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1-2 tbsp compatible chili or hot sauce
- PREPARE edamame and riced cauliflower according to their respective packages.
- MAKE Spicy Mayo by whisking together vegan mayo and chili sauce or hot sauce. Set aside.
- BUILD your bowl by starting with 1 cup of cooked cauliflower rice. Drizzle generously with 1+ tablespoons of coconut aminos. Then build on top with edamame, carrots, cucumbers, avocados, and garnishes of choice.
- DRIZZLE spicy mayo on top and serve. Add additional coconut aminos or spicy mayo as desired.