Our Whole30 Cream of Mushroom Soup takes only 10 minutes to make and is Whole30, gluten-free, and dairy-free, with plant-based options. An easy base for so many recipes! Swap it out for any dish that calls for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, and let your inner 90’s kid rejoice!
We start with cooking finely chopped mushrooms in ghee or compatible plant-based butter. We like to finely chop the mushrooms by pulsing them in a mini food processor, but you can also chop them with a knife until very fine. The end consistency should be small in size, similar to riced cauliflower.
While the mushrooms are cooking, we whisk together all the remaining ingredients for a broth. This includes chicken or vegetable broth, coconut milk, and seasonings. To keep this flavorful, we add onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Finally, we whisk a compatible starch into the liquid mixture to thicken the soup. (We recommend arrowroot or potato starch for this. Tapioca flour will thicken the mixture, but will also give it a tacky texture that isn’t ideal.)
While cooking, be sure not to walk away from the stove. This soup will thicken very quickly. Stay close by and stir regularly as it thickens to ensure the smoothest consistency as the starch mixes into the soup.
The end result is a thick, condensed soup. (Note that the soup will also thicken more as it cools.) This recipe is a swap for a 10.5 oz can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. Use it as a flavorful base for soups, casseroles, and more!
Use this soup immediately to create your favorite casserole or dish, or keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to three months. Just be sure to put it in a sealed container. A small mason jar with a lid is great for this, or use a silicone mold or ice tray to freeze into measured portions before moving to a bag or container. Feel free to double or even triple this recipe to have plenty on hand when needed!
Whole30 Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tbsp ghee or compatible vegan butter
- 3 oz fresh white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or potato starch
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- MELT ghee or vegan butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add finely chopped mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- WHISK together all other ingredients while mushrooms are cooking. Add to pan when mushrooms are cooked.
- STIR the mixture continuously until it thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Don’t walk away from the pan or stop stirring to ensure an even consistency!
- ONCE thick, remove from heat and either use for desired recipe or add to a sealed container. Soup will thicken even more as it cools.
- REFRIGERATE for up to 1 week, if not using immediately, or freeze for up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw in the fridge overnight before using.
Recipe Creator | Whole Food for 7