This Sweet Potato Stack dish layers satisfying baked sweet potato and tofu with tasty hummus and fresh avocado for a colorful, hearty meal. Have overnight guests? It’s the perfect savory brunch dish for a plant-based brunch. Leftovers work great for lunch, too!
Sweet Potato Stack: A Plant-Based Whole30 Breakfast Recipe
Sweet Potato Stack
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium (4-to-5 ounces each) sweet potatoes ,scrubbed and patted dry
- 1 tsp avocado oil
For the Tofu Patties
- 1 (14-or 16-ounce) package super-firm tofu ,drained, cut into 12 slices
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour or almond flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black salt
- ⅛ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
For the Vegetables
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped vegetables, such as sliced mushrooms, halved Brussel Sprouts, chopped bell pepper, trimmed and chopped asparagus
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados ,halved, pitted, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup Whole30-compatible hummus
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Make the Sweet Potatoes
- Place each sweet potato in a square of aluminum foil. Lightly drizzle each potato with ½ teaspoon oil and rub to lightly coat. Prick the potatoes with a fork; wrap in the foil. Place on a rimmed baking pan. Bake until very soft and a knife is easily inserted in center, 35 to 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, Make the Tofu
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate, stir together the flour, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, smoked paprika, and turmeric. Thoroughly coat tofu slices in coating on all sides.
- In an extra-large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil over medium heat. Add the tofu pieces, in batches, and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Make the Vegetables
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the vegetables to the oil, and cook, stirring often, until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Place one half, cut-side up, on a serving plate. Spread with the hummus. Top with some of the avocado slices, then a tofu patty. Spoon the vegetables around each stack. Pass remaining tofu egg patties.
- Make Ahead: Bake sweet potatoes as directed; let cool completely. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat potatoes in a 400°F oven until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.