Summer is the perfect time to enjoy seafood—and the grill makes it quick and easy to enjoy the catch of the day (or those frozen filets you’ve had in the freezer!) any night of the week.
This recipe features a few fresh, bright flavors that make it feel fancy—but it is so simple to prepare. It all starts with a radicchio and grilled pineapple salad tossed in balsamic vinaigrette, which makes for a great base for the meal and tastes both cleansing and sweet. Atop that goes a piece of grilled rock cod (a.k.a. Pacific rockfish or Pacific snapper), which is incredibly versatile and mild in flavor. Then, fresh parsley and cilantro come together with lime juice, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and sea salt for a beautiful chimichurri sauce that ties the whole meal together with a pop of color and citrus. Drizzle (or pour!) as much as your heart desires onto your fish to really turn up that herb-y goodness.
Though this meal comes together pretty quickly, you can always simplify the preparation process even more by opting for canned pineapple instead of fresh to minimize the chopping. Just be sure your can lists “pineapple” as the only ingredient, as canned fruits are often packed with sneaky added sugar. Of course, you can also use bagged greens and skip chopping up the radicchio.
And don’t feel tied to the radicchio if it isn’t your preferred salad green, either. Any variety of lettuce or leafy green will do. (Though, we must say that radicchio’s spice, bitterness, and crunch balance out the sweet, soft grilled pineapple oh so nicely.) That said, you can always get creative with the fruit in your salad, too. Grilled peaches, apricots, and plums are all great seasonal options to incorporate. The same goes for your fish. Other varieties, such as salmon, tilapia, Mahi Mahi, or halibut all sub into this meal seamlessly.
Finally, though fresh cilantro and parsley are the two herbs typically used in chimichurri sauces, you can mix this one up with whatever other fresh herbs you have handy, like basil or dill. Consider this delightful green sauce your opportunity to use up whatever fresh herbs you have around that might otherwise go to waste!
Whether you’re looking to impress at an evening dinner party with friends and family or just want to spice up your weeknight routine, this simple but elevated meal gets the job done.
Grilled Rock Cod with Chimichurri and Radicchio Pineapple Salad
Grilled Fish with Chimichurri and Radicchio Pineapple Salad
- 1 grill or cast iron skillet
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- 2 cups fresh parsley
- 1/2 fresh lime juiced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 medium garlic clove peeled & minced
Radicchio Pineapple Salad
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 medium head of radicchio
- 1/4 fresh pineapple sliced in spears
Grilled Rock Cod
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1-1.5 lbs rock cod
- ADD the chimichurri sauce ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well-combined and consistent in texture. Set aside.
- PREPARE the radicchio pineapple salad by adding the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sea salt to a mixing bowl. Add the radicchio to the bowl and toss well.
- GRILL the pineapple spears on a grill or in a cast-iron skillet set to medium-high heat for 1 minute per side. Remove from the heat, dice and toss with the radicchio.
- GRILL the fish on the hot grill set to medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes per side. If using a cast-iron skillet, add the ghee to the skillet and swirl it around the pan prior to adding the fish.
- ARRANGE fish on top of the radicchio pineapple salad. Top fish with chimichurri sauce.
- STORE any leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.