Chimichurri is a popular parsley-based sauce that originates in Argentina, and is used in a variety of dishes, and compliments most proteins. This recipe for Nona’s Argentine Chicken Chimichurri (Pollo con Chimichurri) & Silvia’s Argentine Carrot & Hard Boiled Egg Salad (Zanahorias y Huevos) comes to us from Whole30’s Senior Communications Manager, Jackie Jorge.
From Jackie: “This meal is inspired by my Argentinian mom, Silvia (we call her Nona), who is one of the most amazing women I know and a fantastic cook. I grew up eating chicken with chimichurri and during the summer months, my mom would whip up a traditional salad of Zanahorias y Huevos (Carrots & Eggs). There is something about the vinegar, carrots and eggs that takes me back to a happy time when visiting Argentina as a little girl. This meal can be ordered at any Argentine restaurant and is certainly a staple in any Argentine home. The Chimichurri marinade can also be made separately as a sauce and used over anything… steak, chicken, pork, eggs, veggies. It’s a must-have whether you’re on a Whole30, or not.”
Whole30 Argentine Chicken Chimichurri (Pollo con Chimichurri)
Nona’s Argentine Chicken Chimichurri (Pollo con Chimichurri) and Silvia’s Argentine Carrot & Hard Boiled Egg Salad (Zanahorias y Huevos)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 4 cloves garlic ,minced
- 1 red chili ,deseeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- Salt to season
Carrot and Egg Salad
- 4 carrots ,peeled and julienned or shredded with grater
- 2 hard boiled eggs ,sliced or chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 small pieces salt or less to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mix chimichurri ingredients together in a bowl and allow to marinade for 5-10 minutes. Season chicken with salt. Pour 4 tablespoons of marinade over chicken, combine and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Keep untouched marinade to serve later.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook or barbeque chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked throughly. Once chicken is done, set aside and allow to rest.
- Spoon remaining chimichurri over chicken and serve with traditional salad.
Carrot and Egg Salad
- Place the carrots and hard boiled eggs in a bowl and add the oil, lemon juice, and salt. Mix gently, season with a little pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
You Might Also Like…
Senior Communications Manager