This Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore recipe is from The Whole30 Slow Cooker. Cacciatore means “hunter” in Italian and refers to a dish cooked with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, herbs, and sometimes wine. Our version doesn’t contain any wine and subs zucchini noodles for the standard wheat pasta or rice that is usually served with the chicken, but it still has amazingly rich flavor.
THE WHOLE30 SLOW COOKER
150 All-New Recipes for Your Slow Cooker and Instant Pot
Designed to get you out of the kitchen fast, so you can enjoy all the benefits of your Whole30
Co-creator Melissa Hartwig is making it even easier to achieve Whole30 success, with delicious slow cooker and Instant Pot recipes that turn ingredients into delicious, hearty meals while you’re out and about. You’ll find delicious no-fuss dinners that cook while you work; roasts that transform into tacos, salads, and soups for easy meals throughout the week; and satisfying one-pot dishes that make prep and clean-up a breeze.
Try This: Whole30 Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore with Zucchini Noodles
Whole30 Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore with Zucchini Noodles
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2¼ pounds)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 14.5–ounce can Whole30-compatible diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup Whole30-compatible chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Whole30-compatible tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 10.7-ounce package zucchini noodles or 2 small zucchini, spiralized
- Fresh chopped parsley optional
- SEASON the chicken with the oregano, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Add the coconut oil to a 6-quart Instant Pot. Select Sauté and adjust to Normal/Medium. When the oil is hot, add half of the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 4 to 8 minutes. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Select Cancel. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- ADD the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, garlic, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt to the pot. Add the chicken. Lock the lid in place.
- SELECT Manual and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Use quick release.
- TRANSFER the chicken to a plate; cover to keep warm. Select Sauté and adjust to Normal/Medium. When the sauce is simmering, add the zucchini noodles. Cook, stirring frequently until the sauce is thickened and the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Select Cancel. Serve, topped with parsley if desired.
Excerpted from The Whole30 Slow Cooker © 2018 by Melissa Hartwig. Photography © 2018 by Ghazalle Badiozamani. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
Co-Founder / CEO