This Whole30 Instant Pot Sesame Chicken was created for The Whole30 Slow Cooker by Alex Snodgrass of The Defined Dish. It’s her Whole30 take on the Chinese takeout staple. It’s absolutely delicious and will leave you oh-so satisﬁed … plus it’s kid-friendly, too!
Try This: Whole30 Instant Pot Sesame Chicken
Whole30 Instant Pot Sesame Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ cup Whole30-compatible chicken broth
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon Whole30-compatible ﬁsh sauce
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper ﬂakes optional
- 1 package 10.8 ounces frozen broccoli ﬂorets, or 4 cups broccoli ﬂorets, steamed (see Tips)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted (see Tips)
- 2 green onions sliced
- PLACE the chicken in a medium bowl and sprinkle with the pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of the arrowroot and toss to coat.
- TURN on a 6-quart Instant Pot, select Sauté and adjust to Normal/Medium. Add the avocado oil. When it’s hot, add half the chicken and cook, stirring once, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Select Cancel.
- MEANWHILE, in a small bowl, whisk together the broth, coconut aminos, vinegar, sesame oil, ﬁsh sauce, and remaining 1 teaspoon arrowroot until the arrowroot is dissolved. Add red pepper ﬂakes (if using).
- RETURN all of the chicken to the pot. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Lock the lid in place. Select Manual and cook for 6 minutes. Use quick release. Stir the chicken. Let stand until slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the broccoli according to package directions.
- SERVE the chicken over the broccoli. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and green onions.
- TIP To toast sesame seeds, heat in a skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- TIP To steam fresh broccoli ﬂorets, combine in a microwave-safe bowl with 3 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
THE WHOLE30 SLOW COOKER
150 All-New Recipes for Your Slow Cooker and Instant Pot
Designed to get you out of the kitchen fast, so you can enjoy all the benefits of your Whole30
Co-creator Melissa Hartwig is making it even easier to achieve Whole30 success, with delicious slow cooker and Instant Pot recipes that turn ingredients into delicious, hearty meals while you’re out and about. You’ll find delicious no-fuss dinners that cook while you work; roasts that transform into tacos, salads, and soups for easy meals throughout the week; and satisfying one-pot dishes that make prep and clean-up a breeze.
Excerpted from The Whole30 Slow Cooker © 2018 by Melissa Hartwig. Photography © 2018 by Ghazalle Badiozamani. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
Co-Founder / CEO