This cozy gluten-free and dairy-free soup is like biscuits and gravy in a bowl…without the biscuits. Whole30 Sausage Gravy Soup has the creamy feel of white country gravy with sausage and potatoes. If there was ever a time to consider having soup for breakfast, this is it! And it’s a delicious 30-minute meal for lunch or dinner too.
This Whole30 soup starts with cooked and crumbled sausage, then adds onion, celery, and garlic for flavor. You add in chicken broth or bone broth and thick coconut milk instead of cream to keep it dairy-free. Optional to include coconut aminos for a little more of a full flavor, but it’s still tasty without it. Plus, as a soup, it’s naturally nut-free and egg-free too. That makes this a nice warm egg-free breakfast option! This Sausage Gravy Soup also freezes well, so make a big batch and save some for future you in the freezer.
But our favorite part? Instead of thickening the soup with flour, we thicken it with hidden vegetables. That’s right – steamed cauliflower is blended with the broth to add both thickness and nutrients. A high-powered blender will help here to make sure the result is super smooth. This is easiest with steam in a bag of riced cauliflower (fresh or frozen). You won’t taste the cauliflower – promise!
- Garnish with fresh parsley for a beautiful presentation, pop of color and flavor.
- You can also stir in 1-2 cups frozen peas at the end to help cool the soup down just before serving and add additional veggies. Just wait 5 minutes before serving to allow the peas to cook.
- Can’t do cauliflower? You can steam an additional pound of potatoes and blend those into the soup to thicken it instead.
- You can use turkey or chicken breakfast sausage instead of the pork, if desired.
- You can use an alternative non-dairy Whole30 compatible milk instead of coconut milk. As most other non-dairy milks are thinner, decrease the amount of the broth and milk to 2 cups each (instead of 2 ½ cups each) to counter this.
Whole30 Sausage Gravy Soup
Whole30 Sausage Gravy Soup
- 1 lb uncooked pork breakfast sausage
- 2 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 1/2 medium white or yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 2.5 cups chicken broth or bone broth
- 2.5 cups canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1 lb yellow potatoes cubed into small 1/2” pieces
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb steamed riced cauliflower
- 1-2 cups frozen peas
- Fresh parsley optional
- COOK and crumble breakfast sausage in a large pot over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until browned.
- SET aside the cooked sausage.
- ADD oil to pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped onion, celery, and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- ADD broth, coconut milk, chopped potatoes, coconut aminos, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- STEAM cauliflower rice while soup is simmering.
- BLEND steamed cauliflower rice with 1-2 cups of the broth from the soup until very smooth.
- ADD cauliflower mixture back into the soup and stir well. Serve and enjoy!
- OPTIONAL: Top with fresh parsley or stir in 1-2 cups frozen peas.
- TO FREEZE: Store in individual sealed containers for up to 3 months.
Recipe Creator | Whole Food for 7