Recipe and photos by Sarah Steffens
One of my favorite holiday memories is a cozy and delicious breakfast my mom would prepare each year for our family to enjoy before we opened our stockings: a big breakfast casserole, cut fruit, sausage, coffee. This year, you’re likely limiting your holiday gatherings to immediate-household only, and forgoing many of your favorite traditions and celebrations. A leisurely and tasty breakfast with your household is something you can do, so we’ve created this Whole30 veggie breakfast casserole recipe with that in mind.
This casserole is packed with texture and flavor—creamy roasted butternut squash, steamed broccoli and diced red bell pepper. It’s sure to satisfy and nourish, and we hope it becomes a favorite recipe that you serve for years to come. – Shanna, Director of Digital Content
Whole30 Veggie Breakfast Casserole, Perfect for the Holidays
Whole30 Breakfast Casserole
- 4 cups peeled & cubbed butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons ghee, coconut oil, or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium red bell pepper ,seeded and diced
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup plain and unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange butternut squash on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper. Dollop ghee, coconut oil or avocado oil on the squash and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Roast in the oven until soft and beginning to brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- While butternut is roasting, steam your broccoli until tender, about 5 minutes.
- While broccoli is steaming, whisk all of the eggs and almond milk in a large bowl and season with additional sea salt and black pepper if you like.
- Arrange steamed broccoli in an oven-safe casserole dish greased with ghee, coconut oil or avocado oil.
- Add diced bell pepper to the casserole dish, followed by the roasted butternut squash, and then the egg mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving between 4-5.
You Might Also Like…