This Whole30 Pork Chili Verde is one of our favorite recipes from The Whole30 Friends & Family. It’s meant to feed a crowd (the full recipe serves 10), so this recipe works great as a meal prep recipe or make-ahead meal. Make a big batch and freeze half, or cut the recipe in half to serve your family for one meal.
Try This: Whole30 Pork Chili Verde From The Whole30 Friends & Family
Whole30 Pork Chili Verde From The Whole30 Friends & Family
For the sauce
- 2 jalapeños
- 6 tomatillos husks removed and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 16-ounce can roasted green chilies
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves plus more for garnish
For the chili
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 pounds Whole30-compatible pork tenderloin cut into ½ -inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons Whole30-compatible chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups Whole30-compatible chicken broth
- ¾ cup Whole30-compatible coconut milk
- ADJUST the oven racks so one is about 6 inches from the broiler heat. Preheat the broiler. Line a small baking pan with foil.
- MAKE the verde sauce: Cut the jalapeños in half; remove the seeds, if desired. Place the jalapeños, cut sides down, on the baking pan. Broil until charred, about 4 minutes. Place the jalapeños, tomatillos, green chilies, and cilantro in a blender. Cover and pulse until combined yet chunky.
- MAKE the Chili Base: In a large pot over medium- high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the pork and cook until opaque, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, potatoes, bell pepper, cumin, salt (if desired), chili powder, black pepper, and oregano. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, 6 to 7 minutes.
- ADD the verde sauce and chicken broth to the pork mixture. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a gentle boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer until the pork is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk.
- TOP servings with cilantro.
THE WHOLE30 FRIENDS & FAMILY
With four Whole30 cookbooks and thousands of free recipes, it’s never been easier to make Whole30 meals at home, but navigating social gatherings can still feel daunting.
You can honor your health commitments while enjoying time with family and friends, and this book shows you exactly how. The Whole30 Friends & Family is packed with recipes for all of life’s special moments, from birthdays to baby showers, barbecues to brunches. All of the recipes are Whole30 compatible, designed to mix and match to create the perfect menu whether you’re hosting or contributing a dish as a guest. And in true Whole30 style, the recipes are creative, colorful, and so flavorful that your guests will never miss the added sugar.
The Whole30 Friends & Family will show you how to navigate gatherings, provide tips and tricks to make every social situation a success, and offer full menus for special occasions like dinner parties, date night, and Friendsgiving. These fun, creative meals will make social gatherings a breeze and let you effortlessly share your Whole30 experience with those you love.
Excerpted from The Whole30 Friends and Family © 2019 by Melissa Hartwig. Photography © 2019 by Ghazalle Badiozamani. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.