What’s not to love about a meatball? These Whole30 Egg Roll Meatballs are perfect for an appetizer or main dish. Not only are these meatballs gluten-free and dairy-free, but they’re egg-free too! An excellent fit for a variety of dietary needs.
These Egg Roll Meatballs combine the flavors of an egg roll with a Whole30 twist. Juicy and tender, they have a great texture to them. We love the addition of bagged coleslaw into the meatballs to get in some veggies. The perfect nutrition boost for you or your picky eater!
Like an egg roll, the meatballs can be made with ground chicken, turkey, or pork. Add in green onions, almond flour, and some basic spices, and you have an easy flavorful entree. We love cooking them in the air fryer for a quick and juicy result, though oven instructions are included as well.
With a short cook time and easy prep, this recipe is a fantastic 30-minute meal. Perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Or make a batch and freeze them for meal prep or a make-ahead dinner.
The Sweet Garlic sauce is optional but recommended. It combines sauteed garlic with dates and coconut aminos for a simple but flavorful sauce. Use it to toss or dip!
What are coconut aminos?
Coconut aminos are a common soy-free replacement for soy sauce. As soy is not allowed on a Whole30 (read the Whole30 Rules here), coconut aminos are often used instead of soy sauce. It’s made from the fermented sap of a coconut palm tree. You can read more about why coconut aminos are compatible on the Whole30 here.
What can I serve this with?
Our Egg Roll Meatballs are delicious by themselves as an appetizer. To make it a meal, serve them on top of steamed riced cauliflower. Add a side for some extra veggies like this Whole30 House Ranch rainbow salad or sesame potato salad.
Egg Roll Meatball Substitutions
- Use ground pork instead of ground chicken or turkey
- NUT-FREE: Use ¼ cup mashed potatoes instead of the almond flour
- Can’t find pre-packaged coleslaw mix? Coleslaw mix is a combination of shredded cabbage and shredded carrots. Use 1 ½ cups shredded cabbage and ½ cup shredded carrots instead.
Egg Roll Meatballs
Egg Roll Meatballs
- 1 Air Fryer optional
- 3 green onions sliced, white and green parts separated from the dark green parts
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1.5 lbs ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 cup almond flour
Sweet Garlic Sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp olive, avocado, or sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (heaping) minced fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 3 pitted dates
- CHOP white and green parts of the onions plus the coleslaw mix in a food processor until it is finely chopped.
- ADD ground meat and all other ingredients. Mix with hands or a spatula. Be careful not to overmix, which will make your meatballs less tender.
- SHAPE into 30 1 ½ tablespoon meatballs. We use a 1 ½ tablespoon meat or cookie scoop to scoop, then roll gently with our hands.
- AIR FRY in a single layer at 375 for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through and browned.
- Or BROIL in the oven on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment and a cooling rack set inside for 10-12 minutes, until browned, flip and then broil the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- MAKE sauce while meatballs are cooking by placing a small pot over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook 2-3 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Then blend the entire mixture until smooth.
- TOSS meatballs with sauce or serve it separately as a dipping sauce.
- FREEZE by storing meatballs, not covered in sauce, in a sealed container for up to 3 months. Store sauce separately in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months as well.
Digital Content Producer