This Whole30 Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup from Cooking Whole30 is the perfect cozy dish to add to your winter menu rotation.
Loaded with flavorful homemade sausage, tender potatoes, and nutrient-rich kale, this potato soup is a tasty and comforting meal that will leave you fueled (and filled).
Bonus: this recipe holds exceptionally well, and leftovers make for a great lunch or breakfast.
To make this soup, combine ground pork and savory spices, then brown the mixture with onion and garlic in a large pot or Dutch oven. Once the sausage is cooked through, stir in the broth, tomatoes (with their juices), and cubed potatoes. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, occasionally stirring, until the potatoes are tender — about 15-20 minutes. Add fresh kale and thyme and cook, uncovered, for five more minutes until the kale is tender.
Cooking Whole30 is the revised, updated, and enhanced version of The Whole30 Cookbook. It is available in the U.S., everywhere books are sold. Click here for more information about this project.
Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup
Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more as needed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp black pepper plus more as needed
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or stock
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 lb red potatoes cut in 3/4 inch chunks
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale or Swiss chard leaves
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- IN a large bowl, combine the ground pork, Italian seasoning, salt, paprika, fennel seeds, black pepper, and red pepper flakes; mix well
- HEAT the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the pork mixture, the onion, and the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the meat is browned.
- STIR in the broth, tomatoes with their juices, and potatoes, then bring mixture to a boil.
- REDUCE heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- ADD the fresh kale and thyme and cook, uncovered, until the kale is tender, for about 5 minutes more.
- SEASON with additional salt and black pepper to taste, serve and enjoy!
Post photography by Brent Herrig
Order Your Copy Today
OVER 150 RECIPES FOR THE WHOLE30 AND BEYOND
Previously published as The Whole30 Cookbook, this bestseller is revised, updated, and available in paperback for the first time.
The groundbreaking Whole30 program has helped millions of people transform their lives by bringing them better sleep, more energy, fewer cravings, and improved digestion, creating a foundation of good habits and restoring a healthy relationship with food. In this cookbook (previously published as The Whole30 Cookbook) best-selling author and Whole30 co-creator Melissa Urban delivers over 150 recipes to help readers prepare delicious, healthy meals for their Whole30 and beyond.
Cooking Whole30 has been completely revised and updated to be in line with Whole30’s diversity, inclusion, equity, representation, and accessibility efforts.
Say good-bye to mundane meals with Cooking Whole30. These mouth-watering recipes will help you reset your health while filling your life with delicious good food.” — DANIELLE WALKER, New York Times best-selling author, Against All Grain and Meals Made Simple
Chief Content Officer