This salad from The Whole30 Friends & Family combines some of the best flavors of the winter season: crunchy fennel, hearty kale, and fresh citrus. (Bonus points if you finish it with a drizzle of our Made By Whole30 Buffalo Vinaigrette.) It’s a satisfying, fresh, and nutrient-packed side dish for your next family meal or holiday gathering.
As written, the recipe serves 6 as a side dish, but it can also serve as a main for four people. Just add your favorite protein (we love shredded chicken or seared salmon).
Whole30 Citrus Kale Salad
Whole30 Citrus Kale Salad
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp dried dill
- Pinch salt and black pepper
- 1 fennel bulb
- 4 cups chopped kale (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1 large blood orange ,peeled, sectioned, and finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion ,finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped unsulfured dried apricots
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds of chopped cashews
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, dill, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut off the fennel stalks about 1 inch from the bulb; chop two of the stalks and set aside. Cut a thin slice from the root end and discard. Remove any wilted outer layers with a vegetable peeler. Stand the bulb upright and cut in half. Cut away and discard the tough core from each half. Use a mandoline set at 1⁄8 inch or a sharp knife to thinly slice the fennel bulb. ( You need 1 cup of fennel slices for this recipe.)
- Add the chopped kale to a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the kale; massage to coat. Add the sliced fennel, fennel stalks, blood orange, onion, dried apricots, and almonds. Toss to combine.
THE WHOLE30 FRIENDS & FAMILY
With four Whole30 cookbooks and thousands of free recipes, it’s never been easier to make Whole30 meals at home, but navigating social gatherings can still feel daunting.
You can honor your health commitments while enjoying time with family and friends, and this book shows you exactly how. The Whole30 Friends & Family is packed with recipes for all of life’s special moments, from birthdays to baby showers, barbecues to brunches. All of the recipes are Whole30 compatible, designed to mix and match to create the perfect menu whether you’re hosting or contributing a dish as a guest. And in true Whole30 style, the recipes are creative, colorful, and so flavorful that your guests will never miss the added sugar.
The Whole30 Friends & Family will show you how to navigate gatherings, provide tips and tricks to make every social situation a success, and offer full menus for special occasions like dinner parties, date night, and Friendsgiving. These fun, creative meals will make social gatherings a breeze and let you effortlessly share your Whole30 experience with those you love.
Purchase: Amazon , B&N , Indie Bound , Powell’s , BAM , Hudson , Indigo , Amazon.ca , iBooks , Google Play
You Might Also Like…
Co-Founder / CEO