Our Whole30 version of a takeout favorite is fast and easy to make. Egg Roll in a Bowl is gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and egg-free. It only takes 5 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook. We love a nourishing 30-minute meal!
This is a one-pan dish by sauteing everything in the same pan. And one-pan meals mean less dishes for you! It’s full of veggies and flavor yet so simple to make. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal on a busy night. Plus, the leftovers reheat well, so it’s also a great meal prep option.
Our Whole30 Egg Roll in a Bowl uses ground meat of your choice. We use ground pork but can also use ground turkey, chicken, or beef. We ramp up the flavor with fresh green onions, minced garlic, and either fresh or ground ginger.
Then, we load it with veggies using a pre-made bag of coleslaw mix (chopped cabbage and carrots). The sauce is simple with coconut aminos plus vinegar. The Creamy Chili Sauce is optional but adds healthy fats and flavor.
In addition to being nourishing, this recipe is budget-friendly! Use the substitutions below to choose the ingredients most accessible to you. The majority of these ingredients are readily available in most grocery stores.
What are coconut aminos?
Coconut aminos are a common soy-free replacement for soy sauce. As soy is not allowed on a Whole30 (read the Whole30 Rules here), coconut aminos are often used instead of soy sauce. It’s made from the fermented sap of a coconut palm tree. You can read more about why coconut aminos are compatible on the Whole30 here.
- Use any ground meat of your choice instead of the ground pork
- Swap 1 tablespoon fresh ginger instead of the ground ginger
- Use an equal amount of broccoli slaw instead of a coleslaw mix
- A coleslaw mix is a combination of shredded cabbage and carrots. You can make your own 14 oz mix of the two if bagged coleslaw is not readily available.
Whole30 Egg Roll in a Bowl
Whole30 Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 6 green onions sliced and white & light green parts divided from the dark green parts
- 2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 14 oz bag coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup compatible mayo
- 1 tbsp compatible hot sauce
- 1 tbsp apple juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- HEAT sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the white and light green parts of the green onions and minced garlic to the oil. Cook 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- ADD ground meat, salt, and pepper. Cook until meat is browned and cooked through.
- TOP with coleslaw mix, coconut aminos, vinegar and ginger. Stir until combined and cook for 4-5 minutes until cabbage cooks down and liquid is mostly cooked in. Remove from heat.
- COMBINE sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well.
- TOP meat mixture with remaining green onions and drizzle with sauce, if using.
- NOTE: Only add the sauce to the portion you are eating immediately. This recipe reheats well, but the sauce does not. Store sauce separately in a sealed container and top only just before eating.
Recipe Creator | Whole Food for 7