This recipe for Whole30 Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup is from the upcoming Cooking Whole30, and it’s a warm, cozy dish to add to your winter menu rotation. Bonus: this recipe holds exceptionally well, and we think leftovers make for a great lunch or breakfast.
Cooking Whole30 is the revised, updated, and enhanced version of The Whole30 Cookbook. It is available in the U.S., everywhere books are sold. Click here for more information about this project.
Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup
Sausage, Potato, Kale Soup
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or Whole30-compatible chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 pound red potatoes cut in 3/4 inch chunks
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale or Swiss chard leaves
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- IN a large bowl, combine the ground pork, Italian seasoning, salt, paprika, fennel seeds, black pepper, and red pepper flakes; mix well
- HEAT the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the pork mixture, the onion, and the garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until the meat is browned.
- STIR in the broth, tomatoes with their juices, and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the kale and thyme and cook, uncovered, until the kale is tender, 5 minutes more. Season with additional salt and black pepper and serve.
Post photography by Brent Herrig
Order Your Copy Today
OVER 150 RECIPES FOR THE WHOLE30 AND BEYOND
Previously published as The Whole30 Cookbook, this bestseller is revised, updated, and available in paperback for the first time.
The groundbreaking Whole30 program has helped millions of people transform their lives by bringing them better sleep, more energy, fewer cravings, and improved digestion, creating a foundation of good habits and restoring a healthy relationship with food. In this cookbook (previously published as The Whole30 Cookbook) best-selling author and Whole30 co-creator Melissa Urban delivers over 150 recipes to help readers prepare delicious, healthy meals for their Whole30 and beyond.
Cooking Whole30 has been completely revised and updated to be in line with Whole30’s diversity, inclusion, equity, representation, and accessibility efforts.
Say good-bye to mundane meals with Cooking Whole30. These mouth-watering recipes will help you reset your health while filling your life with delicious good food.” — DANIELLE WALKER, New York Times best-selling author, Against All Grain and Meals Made Simple
Chief Content Officer