Level up your breakfast game in lightning speed with a combination of fresh sautéed veggies and leftover ground beef in this delicious and nutritious skillet meal!
Smoked paprika, cumin and chili powder lend to this recipe’s comforting flavor profile, while a topping of cilantro, scallions and hemp seeds add brightness and a satisfying crunch. Better yet, we cracked eggs directly into the skillet then baked it for a showstopping, one-pan wonder that’ll give you all the energy needed for the day ahead.
Tips and tricks:
Looking for ways to speed up the prep time? Grab pre-diced onion and garlic, cubed butternut squash and bagged baby kale from the market, reducing time spent chopping. You can even prep this dish up to the point of adding the avocado and eggs the night before. When you’re ready to feast, simply reheat the veggies and ground beef in the skillet on the stove, then proceed with the rest of the instructions and serve!
Don’t be afraid to mix it up! Get creative by swapping spices, toppings and veggies:
- Try diced sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash, green, red or orange bell peppers for the yellow, or summer squash for the zucchini.
- Swap fresh parsley for the cilantro.
- Use another seed such as pepitas, sunflower, or pine nuts, or omit them altogether to keep this dish nut and seed free.
- Have cooked chicken or steak on hand? Throw that in instead of the ground beef!
This is a GREAT recipe to clear your fridge of leftover protein and produce before they reach the point of no return.
Whole30 Beef and Veggie Breakfast Skillet
Whole30 Beef & Veggie Breakfast Skillet
- 1 cast iron skillet
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 yellow onion peeled & diced
- 2 garlic cloves peeled & minced
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced & seeds removed
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz cooked ground beef
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground chili powder
- 2 cups baby kale
- 1 medium avocado peeled & diced
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro minced
- 1 medium scallion minced
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- PREHEAT oven to 400 °F (205 °C).
- ADD ghee to a cast-iron skillet on the stove set to medium heat. Add onion, garlic, butternut squash, yellow bell pepper and zucchini to the skillet. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- SAUTE veggies until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- ADD cooked ground beef to the skillet and season with smoked paprika, cumin and chili powder. Mix well with the veggies until warmed through, then add the baby kale and stir until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- ADD avocado to the skillet.
- CRACK eggs directly into the skillet and season with additional sea salt and black pepper as needed. Place in the oven and bake until the egg whites are set, about 8-10 minutes.
- REMOVE from the oven and garnish with cilantro, scallion and hemp seeds.
- STORE any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.