Try these Whole30 Almond-Crusted Onion Rings with Green Onion-Cracked Pepper Aioli from The Whole30 Friends & Family. Make a big batch and freeze half, or cut the recipe in half to serve your family for one meal.
Serve these for dinner with some Sweet & Spicy Pork Kabobs.
Try This: Whole30 Almond-Crusted Onion Rings with Green Onion–Cracked Pepper Aioli From The Whole30 Friends & Family
Whole30 Almond-Crusted Onion Rings with Green Onion–Cracked Pepper Aioli From The Whole30 Friends & Family
For the Onion Rings
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium yellow onions sliced ½ inch thick
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the Aioli
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Whole30-compatible Dijon mustard 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 1¼ cups light-tasting olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Note: Refrigerating the coated rings for between 1 and 4 hours helps the breading to adhere to the onion during baking and eating—so don’t skip that step!
- LINE two large rimmed baking pans with parchment paper.
- MAKE THE ONION RINGS: In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, paprika, oregano, salt, and garlic powder. In another large bowl, whisk the 2 eggs. Stir ¼ cup of the flour mixture into the eggs.
- SEPARATE the onion slices into rings. Add 3 to 4 onion rings at a time to the egg mixture and turn to coat. Use your hands or a slotted spoon to transfer the onions to the flour mixture; turn to coat.
- TRANSFER the onions to the baking pans in a single layer. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- MAKE THE AIOLI: In a blender, combine the green onions, egg, garlic, mustard, and lemon juice. Cover and pulse to combine. With the blender running, slowly add the light olive oil until creamy. Add the pepper and pulse to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- PREHEAT the oven to 450°F. Drizzle the onion rings with the extra-virgin olive oil. Bake until the onions are tender and the coating is golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with the aioli.
THE WHOLE30 FRIENDS & FAMILY
With four Whole30 cookbooks and thousands of free recipes, it’s never been easier to make Whole30 meals at home, but navigating social gatherings can still feel daunting.
You can honor your health commitments while enjoying time with family and friends, and this book shows you exactly how. The Whole30 Friends & Family is packed with recipes for all of life’s special moments, from birthdays to baby showers, barbecues to brunches. All of the recipes are Whole30 compatible, designed to mix and match to create the perfect menu whether you’re hosting or contributing a dish as a guest. And in true Whole30 style, the recipes are creative, colorful, and so flavorful that your guests will never miss the added sugar.
The Whole30 Friends & Family will show you how to navigate gatherings, provide tips and tricks to make every social situation a success, and offer full menus for special occasions like dinner parties, date night, and Friendsgiving. These fun, creative meals will make social gatherings a breeze and let you effortlessly share your Whole30 experience with those you love.
Excerpted from The Whole30 Friends and Family © 2019 by Melissa Hartwig. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.