These Whole30 plant-based Sweet Potato Chickpea Tacos will surely be a new favorite! Perfect to fit many dietary needs, as they are gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, egg-free and vegan.
There are layers of flavors in these lettuce-wrapped tacos. First, we roast canned chickpeas and sweet potatoes seasoned with our homemade Whole30 Taco Seasoning. Then, pile on guacamole, pico de gallo, diced red onion, and cilantro. Finish with a drizzle of our Plant-Based Chipotle Ranch, and your Taco Tuesday just got even better!
We love using our simple and budget-friendly Whole30 Homemade Taco Seasoning for these. However, you can use one packet of whatever compatible taco seasoning is accessible to you. Whole30 Approved Siete Foods Taco Seasoning is a great pre-made choice.
Protein on Plant-Based Whole30
It’s essential to be aware of your protein needs on a Plant-Based Whole30 and ensure you get adequate protein every meal. Plant-Based Whole30 protein options include tofu, tempeh, chickpeas and other beans, and jackfruit. Get all your Whole30 plant-based protein questions answered here.
The protein we use for our sweet potato tacos is chickpeas. Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are usually found in the canned bean aisle. We love that they are easy to find and budget-friendly!
All About the Toppings
Everyone knows that a taco is only as good as the toppings you have to pile on top. Compatible pico de gallo and guacamole are usually pretty easy to find in your grocery store produce section. (Though we also HIGHLY recommend the Mango Avocado Salsa from this recipe!) Additional fresh chopped cilantro, jalapeno, or red onions level them up as well. And don’t skip the Chipotle Ranch drizzle on top!
We wrapped our Sweet Potato Chickpea Tacos in butter lettuce leaves. Butter lettuce leaves are soft and pliable, making them much easier to wrap around a taco than romaine. You can also use a compatible coconut wrap or our homemade Plantain Wraps.
Sweet Potato Chickpea Tacos
Sweet Potato Chickpea Tacos
- 2 (15) oz rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 large sweet potato cubed into ½” pieces
- 3 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- butter lettuce leaves for taco "shells"
- pico de gallo
- chopped cilantro
- red onion
- Chipotle Ranch
- PREHEAT oven to 425 °F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- STEAM sweet potatoes for 4 minutes. This will help them cook at the same rate as the chickpeas in the oven. We do this in a reusable zip bag with ¼ cup water in the microwave for 4 minutes. Drain and pat sweet potatoes dry.
- COMBINE chickpeas and sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Toss with oil. Add seasoning and toss again until well combined.
- SPREAD chickpea mixture out on the baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 45 minutes, or until crispy, stirring every 15 minutes.
- BUILD your tacos with the lettuce leaves, guac, chickpea mixture, and other toppings of choice. Enjoy!