Fire up that grill because you are going to love these Grilled Steak Skewers with Chimichurri sauce! They are easy, quick to make, and full of flavor. Perfect for a simple, delicious dinner yet nice enough to make for company. Plus, this entree comes together in under 30 minutes!
It starts with cutting the steak into thin strips. We used sirloin as it’s relatively tender, lean, and more budget-friendly. You will thread the cut strips onto skewers. However, if you are using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water first for at least 30 minutes. Wooden skewers are easy to find and affordable, but also flammable. Soaking them in water will allow you to use them on the grill without them burning.
To season the steak, we prefer to use our homemade dry rub. It’s easy to make and full of flavor – perfect for whatever meat you are grilling this season. However, use whatever compatible blend you prefer, or simply season with salt and pepper.
We cook the steak skewers on medium-high heat to create a nice sear. But we don’t leave it on the grill for too long to ensure it stays tender and juicy.
The chimichurri sauce really makes this dish. It is full of fresh flavors and seasonings that bring the ‘wow’ to the meal. The chimichurri sauce uses parsley or cilantro, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic cloves, dried oregano, dried red pepper flakes, olive oil, onion, and salt and pepper. So many fantastic flavors in this sauce!
Chimichurri can be made with either cilantro or flat-leafed parsley – you choose the one you prefer or is more accessible to you. Keep in mind that parsley stems are bitter. If you are using parsley, you will want to try to use only the leaves. If you are using cilantro, you can include the stems, as cilantro stems have the same flavor as the leaves. Also, don’t add the olive oil until after processing the rest of the ingredients. Whisking the oil in by hand at the end helps prevent oxidation, which can make it bitter.
Don’t have a food processor? You can very finely chop the parsley or cilantro, onion, and garlic by hand and then stir in the remaining ingredients for the chimichurri sauce.
Be sure to bring this dish to all your BBQs this season!
Grilled Steak Skewers with Chimichurri
Whole30 Steak Skewers with Chimichurri
- 2 lb sirloin steak cut into thin strips
- 1.5 tbsp tablespoons dry rub
- oil to brush on grill
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro or parsley leaves (if using parsley, leaves only, no stem)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 large garlic cloves peeled
- 1/4 medium yellow onion peeled
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes depending on desired heat
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- HEAT your grill to medium high (about 400 degrees). If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning.
- PLACE cut steak onto skewers. Sprinkle with dry rub or seasoning of your choice.
- GRILL for 4-5 minutes on each side, until you reach an internal temperature of 135 degrees (for medium-rare) or desired doneness. Remove from grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes to redistribute the juices.
To make the chimichurri sauce:
- COMBINE all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor until finely chopped and well combined.
- POUR the mixture into a small bowl and then pour the olive oil on top. Gently whisk to combine. Ideally let the mixture sit for 15 minutes to let the flavor combine before serving. (Sauce is best served fresh but can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.)
- SERVE grilled steak with a generous amount of chimichurri sauce and enjoy!
Recipe Creator | Whole Food for 7