A Whole30 Marinara Sauce, or spaghetti sauce, is very easy to make at home with minimal ingredients. Many Whole30ers have had the experience of standing in the pasta sauce aisle and being surprised at how many sauces have added sugar. An easy solution? Make it yourself!
The ingredients are mostly basic pantry staples, including canned tomatoes, which keeps this recipe simple as well as budget-friendly. This Whole30 Marinara Sauce uses crushed tomatoes, which has a great consistency to start with for a marinara base. Can you use fresh tomatoes? Yes, but they would need to be blanched, peeled, then simmered down to a thicker consistency.
Ways to use this sugar-free marinara sauce:
Whole30 Marinara is perfect to pair with any spiralized vegetable for “noodles” such as spiralized zucchini (usually called “zoodles”), carrots, or sweet potatoes. Spaghetti squash is also naturally spiralized once cooked, making it a great Whole30 vegetable “noodle” option.
This gluten-free and dairy-free marinara is also delicious as a dipping sauce for homemade Whole30 meatballs or in these Whole30 Beef & Mushroom Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
Pair with compatible breaded chicken and spiralized veggies for a Whole30 chicken parmesan spin-off (without the parmesan, of course).
This 5 Ingredient Spaghetti Squash Bolognese.
Or use it in this Whole30 Zucchini, Tomato, and Sausage Casserole!
For this marinara, we recommend the use of fresh basil, garlic, and onion, as they really make the sauce flavorful. However, see the substitutions list below for a dried spice option if fresh ingredients aren’t accessible to you.
- Use 1 teaspoon dried basil instead of the fresh basil
- Use 1 teaspoon garlic powder instead of the fresh garlic
- Use 1 teaspoon onion powder instead of the fresh onion
Whole30 Marinara Sauce
Whole30 Marinara Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 medium white or yellow onion finely minced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- HEAT olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add minced onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- ADD crushed tomatoes, oregano, and salt.
- SIMMER partially covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- OPTIONAL: Blend in a blender or with an immersion blender for a smoother consistency, if desired.
- ADD fresh chopped basil and serve.
- TO FREEZE: Store in a sealed container for up to 6 months.
Digital Content Producer