We want you to commit to the program now, but that doesn’t mean starting right this minute. In the next step, we’re going to ask you to prepare for the Whole30 by cleaning out your pantry, grocery shopping, and doing some basic planning for the month.
Don’t skip the planning process—habit research shows that when people get excited and jump from contemplation straight to action (skipping right over the “preparation” phase) they’re less likely to see the change through. As you’ll hear over and over again, when it comes to the Whole30, planning and preparation are key.
You may need just a day or two to prepare, or you may need a week or two to get your house (and your head) around the changes you’re about to introduce. There is no one perfect timeline—you’ll have to decide what works best for you.
Choosing Your Start Date
Here are some general guidelines for choosing a start date:
- Start as soon as you possibly can, given the amount of preparation time you need.
- If you’ve got a once-in-a-lifetime vacation, an international trip to an unfamiliar location, or a wedding (especially your own!) in your imminent future, consider starting the Whole30 after those events. Navigating the Whole30 for the first time under those conditions may prove extremely difficult, and we don’t want you to begin your program stressed out.
- If you’ve got an important athletic event or an A-level race in the coming month, consider starting the program after your event is over, as your performance may suffer during the first few weeks of the program. (Hint: if you’re not getting paid for your performance, it’s not that important.)
- If you’ve got a family dinner, a business lunch, or a bridal shower in your imminent future, consider it an opportunity to take your Whole30 skills out on the town! You’ll have to deal with lots of new situations during your program, so write these events into your plan for the month, but don’t let them push your Whole30 off.
Once you’ve decided when you’re going to start… tell someone! Anyone! Everyone! Write your start date on the whiteboard at work, create a 30-day countdown calendar, or post our banner on your Facebook page or Instagram feed.
Congratulations! You are now officially part of the Whole30!
- Select your Whole30 start date—and go public!
- Register for the Whole30 Forum
- Introduce yourself in the Join the Whole30 section